DISEASE FROM VAPOR OF RESIN.
Some very simple, and as it would seem innocuous, occupations are attended with bad results from trifling causes. For fixing the tufts of hair of brushes, such as shaving brushes, a solution is made by mixing melted resin with boiled linseed oil. The workman dips the tuft into this solution, and while leaning over it inhales the fumes of resin. Great distress of breathing and irritation are produced by this process. The cough is suffocative, and becomes in time chronic with persistent irritation. Many workmen have to leave the business from these causes, and those who do not actually retire from the occupation are often obliged to rest from it, on account of the chest affections, for long intervals of time.